If you’ve ever had a credit card with Home Depot, be sure to check your credit report.
FDA has identified an emerging trend where over-the-counter products, frequently represented as dietary supplements, contain hidden active ingredients that could be harmful. Consumers may unknowingly take products laced with varying quantities of approved prescription drug ingredients, controlled substances, and untested and unstudied pharmaceutically active ingredients. These deceptive products can harm you! Hidden ingredients are increasingly becoming a problem in products promoted for weight loss.
Cleveland.com [http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2014/07/fda_warns_of_prescription_drug.html] reported that the FDA has warned consumers NOT to use the following weight loss supplements due to them containing a dangerous drug known to cause heart attacks and strokes:
1. Mix Fruit Slimming sold on Amazon
2. Lingzhi Cleansed Slim Tea sold on Amazon
3. Trim Fast
4. 24 ince
5. Sliming (sic) Diet by Pretty White sold on ebay
FDA’s List of additional products just for 2014 with “hidden drugs:”
- 07/08/2014 Public Notification: Mix Fruit Slimming Contains Hidden Drug Ingredients
- 07/08/2014 Public Notification: Lingzhi Cleansed Slim Tea Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 07/08/2014 Public Notification: 24 Ince Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 07/08/2014 Public Notification: Lipo 8 Burn Slim Capsules Contain Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 07/08/2014 Public Notification: Sliming (sic) Diet By Pretty White Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 07/08/2014 Public Notification: Trim-Fast Slimming Softgel Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 06/17/2014 Public Notification: Sport Burner Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 06/17/2014 Public Notification: Toxin Discharged Tea Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 06/17/2014 Public Notification: Sliming Diet Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 06/10/2014 Public Notification: La Jiao Shou Shen Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 06/05/2014 Public Notification: B-Perfect Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 05/16/2014 Public Notification: Asset Bold Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 05/12/2014 Public Notification: Asset Bee Pollen Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 05/05/2014 Public Notification: Natural Body Solution Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 05/05/2014 Public Notification: Slim Trim U Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 04/10/2014 Public Notification: Lite Fit USA Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 04/10/2014 Public Notification: Infinity Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 04/02/2014 Public Notification: New You Contains Hidden Drug Ingredients
- 03/19/2014 Public Notification: Vitaccino Coffee Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 01/28/2014 Public Notification: Citrus Fit Gold Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 01/28/2014 Public Notification: Tonic Life BP Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 01/28/2014 Public Notification: Hot Detox Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 01/28/2014 Public Notification: Thinogenics Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 01/21/2014 Public Notification: Dream Body Slimming Capsule Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
- 01/21/2014 Public Notification: Magic Slim Contains Hidden Drug Ingredient
You can watch the FDA’s video on “Tainted Weight Loss Products” here: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm234592.htm.
The FDA just notified health professionals and caregivers of infants that prescription oral viscous lidocaine (2% solution) should not be used to treat infants and children with teething pain. The FDA will now require a “Boxed Warning” to the drug labeling that will highlight this warning.
This year the FDA reviewed 22 case reports of serious adverse reactions in infants and children. The adverse reactions noted were seizures, severe brain damage, heart problems, and even death. The age range for the reviews was 5 months to 3.5 years old.
The FDA further advised that viscous lidocaine should NOT be prescribed by doctors, and warned parents that even over-the-counter topical medications should not be used due to potential harmful side effects.
You can find the FDA’s Drug Safety Communication Notice here: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm402240.htm
You can find the FDA’s Consumer Update Notice here: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm385817.htm
Fresenius Medical Care North America issued a recall for certain lots of NaturaLyte Liquid Bicarbonate Concentrate, 6.4 liters. NaturaLyte is drug used in hemodialysis machines. Laboratory test identified a Gram Negative bacteria (Halomonas). The FDA issued recall notices on May 21 and May 28th of this year. The FDA has received one report of death and two reports of injuries suspected to be related to the infected drug. The FDA further stated that the affected product could cause serious adverse health consequences, including sepsis, bacteremia, and death.
You can find the FDA recall notices here:
Nathan T. Williams
In the 1990’s, doctors began using mesh implants to give extra support to a woman’s organs after organ prolapse surgery. Shortly after surgeons began using these mesh implants, the FDA began receiving a large number of complaints and problems attributable to the mesh. Most of these problems involved infection, mesh erosion, bleeding and pain. In April 2014, the FDA reclassified many mesh implants as “high-risk” and stated it would now require stricter oversight of the products.
Many injured patients have taken their cases to court. There are currently over 49.000 pending federal lawsuits against seven different mesh manufacturers. The manufacturers with the most cases are American Medical Systems, Ethicon, Boston Scientific, C.R. Bard, Coloplast, Cook Medical and Neomedic.
Now, it has been reported that removal of the faulty mesh may not improve patient’s symptoms. A study of 214 women conducted by the University of California found that 1/3 of women who had the mesh removed still experienced moderate to severe pain. It also found that 28% of those women still experienced urine leakage on a daily basis and pain during sex.
At this point, it appears that many women will continue to suffer from mesh implants long after removal.
Please let us know if you or someone you love has experienced any problems with vaginal mesh implants. We can help.
Nathan T. Williams